Sunday, March 15, 2009

Race Day

Happy Sunday!!  Today was the big 10k race for this mama.  I started out with a solid breakfast – 1/2 cup oat bran, a banana and a 4oz Apple Yo Baby yogurt.

HPIM9144

 

We drove to the site of the race which was about an hour away – a little farther than we thought. D played with dirt while waiting for the race to start.

 

dirt

This child LOVES dirt.

 

dirt2

I was freezing and couldn’t wait for the race to start.  I ate a PB Nature’s Promise bar about an hour before start time.

 

race3

 

The race result – I finished in 44 minutes 12 seconds, woo hoo!!  The best part – I came in first in my age group. 

 

race1

 

Here is the crazy thing – they had my age wrong.  You could imagine my surprise when they announced the winner was a girl that finished after me.  I had to go up and talk to the race official and get the whole thing squared away.  I got my medal and they apologized for the mix-up.  

 

race2

 

So I was the 4th woman to finish and the 10th overall regardless of sex. I wore my Garmin but tried not to focus on the mileage only my pace.  I was cooking!!!  

 

HPIM9155

 

After the big finish I snacked on a banana but wasn’t really that hungry afterward. I thought that I would be but with all the mix-up mess I had to deal with I didn’t feel like chowing right away.  Once we got home I made a turkey, cheese and hummus sandwich on a mini whole wheat pita.

 

HPIM9156

 

A little mixer of 1/4 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce, about 1/4 cup pumpkin, 2 crushed Wasa crackers and a tbsp almond butter.

 

HPIM9158

I finished with some chocolate – both of these varieties contain some orange flavor too. 

 

HPIM9159

Now we are trying to decide what to do for dinner.  Maybe a celebratory race dinner out?  I hope you are having a great day.  I am having quite a lovely one :)  I really didn’t think that I would come in first in my age group at my first race.  It really feels great.  See you later.

17 comments:

DrMom said...

Congrats! You are quite the athlete. I myself am not a runner, but I love walking! Great meals as always.

Makenna said...

Congrats!! I was looking forward to reading your recap because I knew you'd do well!:)

VeggieGirl said...

HELL YES FOR THE RACE RESULTS, DEAR SAMMIE!!!

Erica said...

Aw! You def need to go out! CONGRATS you totally rock

Anonymous said...

Awesome Race!! You did fantastic...
Love your blog..Sandy

Jaime said...

congratulations sammie! awesome job!! :) what a great time!

ksgoodeats said...

CONGRATS!!! I have a feeling this will be the first of many successful races you do ;)

Sammie said...

Thanks!!! Not sure if I will be back for a full post of this evening, I really need some snuggle time with the hubs. We just went to Whole Foods and got pizza and salad for dinner. I was really in the mood for pizza and it is the closest place I can get it without worrying about the dairy. Of course I might indulge in some sweet treat after my little monkey is tucked in. Have a great night.

Julie said...

Congrats! That's so awesome!

Laura said...

I just found your blog and I love it! Congrats on the awesome accomplishment, you really are inspiring! :)

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) said...

Sammie, I knew you would kick some booty in your 10K as your running times are pretty darn speedy on the treadmill.

So excited for you my friend, and I'm glad you enjoyed your Sunday. Hope you celebrated tonight. Great job!

erinbee said...

stellar race!

HangryPants said...

Awesome job at the race!

Maybe he will do something with dirt one day. Hmmmm what could that be?

Sarah (lovINmytummy) said...

I knew you would KILL! Great job!

So have you officially caught the racing bug now?!

Haleigh said...

Congratulations on the race results! I love the blog! Your an amazing athlete.

fitforfree said...

amazing job on the race!! you are a speed demon!

Meghann said...

You are such a speedy runner!! I wish I could be that fast!! :) Congrats on an awesome race!! WOOO HOOO!!!!!