Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Race Advice

Happy Wednesday!!  It is a really crummy day here – rainy and gloomy.  On the bright side, almost all the snow is gone.  How long will that last? Did I just jinx myself? 

I am looking for some race advice.  I think that I am finally ready to compete.  My hubs is tired of me talking about it and just wants me to bite the bullet and do it.  Maybe you all are with him on that one too.  I found one on Sunday that is a 10k – I am waiting for info. If I don’t get to compete in that one I do have other options in the up coming weeks. What I am wondering is how many days off before the race do you usually refrain from running?  A 10k is not really tough mileage wise for me so I was thinking a day off before hand.  I don’t need to train for that distance because I already know that I can do it, I just want to have fresh legs the day of the race.  So any racers out there that are willing to offer me some advice, I would greatly appreciate it. 

This morning I did a cardio workout at the gym – 30 min. Stair Climber and 30 min. Arc Trainer.  Then I headed home to do Shred Workout 2.  I used heavier weights today – it was a killer.  When she says to work so hard that you think you are going to die, she means it.  I thought that I was going to puke after the final minute of abs.  I haven’t picked up one free weight at the gym this week and my body is sore.  I have been using 2, 5 and 7 pound dumbbells – not heavy weights.  This chica really knows her stuff. If I was a personal trainer I would totally want to be like Jillian. Who cares if people are cursing at you – your getting the job done. 

I made a fast breakfast this morning because I needed to boogie woogie out the door.  I cooked 1/2 cup oatmeal with water, then added 1/2 cup pumpkin and topped it with a Yo Baby Apple yogurt. 

HPIM9025

Babysitting was of course crazy.  There is one little boy that refuses to use a tissue and is constantly picking his nose AND then proceeds to eat it – disgusting, bogus, gag me!!!  My little man was super duper today which made my job much easier.

I had to stop at the store on the way home. This morning my hubs informed me that he is out of cereal.  Before going to Stop & Shop I ate a Larabar – love this flavor.  I spotted a bargain at the store – strawberries are on sale 3 for $5.  I can usually get D to eat them so I picked up 2 containers. 

 

HPIM9028

When I made his lunch I sliced some berries for myself and added 1/4 cup cottage cheese and a sprinkle of TJ’s High Fiber Twigs. 

HPIM9034

 

That is not all I had for lunch. I also had the same sandwich that I had yesterday. I really love the combo of red pepper and Swiss cheese. If you are curious as to the type of cheese I get, I buy Finlandia Heavenly Light Swiss at Trader Joe’s. Per slice it has 80 calories, 4 grams of fat and 8 grams of protein.  There is a little label that says rBST free right on the package – just what I like to see.  I can handle light cheese but fat free cheese – yuck!!!  It tastes light rubber and I think a little fat is fine.  I tried fat free shredded cheese once and it had absolutely no flavor and didn’t even melt that good – how can they call that cheese?  Sorry if you are a fan, that is just my opinion. My favorite cheeses are the strong flavored ones like Asiago, Parmesan and extra sharp cheddar.

 

HPIM9031

My lunch ended with a brownie (Z Bar style) and a cup of tea.

 

HPIM9036

Today is whizzing by. Time to get some stuff done around my house. The laundry piles are ready to come to life.  Have a great afternoon.

10 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Sorry that I can't offer any race advice :-( But I can wish you lots of luck!! :-)


Good luck with the rest of your day!!

Yasmin said...

Good luck in you race! I agree, fat-free cheese does not melt correctly. Ugh!

FoodsThatFit said...

I usually take it easy for 2 days before a race. However, I don't completely stop running, I just do shorter and slower runs. Once you do a race you'll be hooked! Keep us updated!

I love the chocolate Z bars, yum!

seesaraheat said...

In my experience, taking the day off before the race works pretty well. There's no need to do more than that unless you are sore. Sometimes the day before I'll do some cross-training too but sometimes I actually do relax :) Good luck!

Danielle said...

Good luck with the race!

Sammie said...

Thanks for your advice guys, I knew I could count on you.

Lacey Nicole said...

I think a pretty standard day-before-race distance is an easy 3 mile run. i like to take the day off completely but it might be more for mental reasons. also you should probably go easy the entire week leading up to the race (no speedwork, easy resistance stuff) if you want to be fresh-peak performance, but everyone is different in what they can handle and how they perform. good luck i am SURE you will be bitten by the racing bug!!! i was for sure!!!

Amanda said...

YAY for the shred! Those plank twists at the end are the best... and worst. I definitely think you should give the 10k a shot. I am sure you will have a blast! I usually completely rest the day before so that I am dyinggg to run when the race rolls around! I wouldn't do anything to really fatigue your muscles 2 days ahead, though. That may mean lay off the Jillian and go for a slow run!

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) said...

Hey Sammie,
I think it's good to actually run the day before a race - keep your legs warmed up, but I would only recommend 2 or 3 EASY miles or a walk even. I think it's more important to take off a day or two from running AFTER the race.

Best of luck - I bet you'll kick booty!

ksgoodeats said...

No race tips from me but GOOD LUCK!! You will be a star :)

That Lara is a good choice!