Thursday, March 19, 2009

I’ve Resorted to Rice Cakes

Hey everyone, I hope you have been enjoying your day.  D and I went to story hour and listened to 2 stories one of which was about a duck named Max.  There is always a little craft for the kiddos to do after the stories so today they made paper bag puppets. 

This is his duck – I love the googlie eyes. 

story1

Check out the feathers – this duck is styling. 

 

story2

I ate my last Larabar before heading out.  I MUST GET MORE.  These things are now essential to my diet as they are free of all things that make my tummy ill.

 

HPIM9265

Now here is my gluten free lunch – swiss cheese sandwich on GF bread and Blue Diamond Almond Nut-Thins.  The crackers are pretty good and not too salty. 

 

HPIM9270

I also made a salad – lettuce, zucchini, red pepper, chicken and Maple Grove Farms dressing.

 

HPIM9271

I ended with a new chocolate treat – an Enjoy Life Cocoa Loco Snack bar.  This is the same company that makes the Sunbutter Crunch bar. It was good and did satisfy my sweet tooth even though it wasn’t that sweet. 

 

HPIM9272 HPIM9274

The rest of the afternoon involved drawing, painting and playing with puffy stick on letters – today was a crafty sort of day. 

I have resorted to rice cakes as a PB delivery system.  I used to cringe at the thought of eating these things – airy and lifeless.  But today with a little help from a few friends the rice cakes were not that bad. I will not be eating them plain that would be like eating a piece of paper. The combo of PB and dates brought some sort of happiness to the party. Plus my belly is still doing great so I really can’t complain.  It’s either eat food that makes you want to keel over in pain or eat things that are friendly to my system.  I’m up for making new friends. 

 

HPIM9275

For dinner I was trying to get creative.  I am trying for you all too you know.  I don’t want all this boring tasteless food on my blog. 

I bought some pasta the other day and decided today would be a good day to give it a go. 

HPIM9280

Usually I am not a big fan of pasta but throw on some cheese (leave off the marinara sauce please) and I am all for it. Here is what I came up with today.  Start by cooking the pasta.  When finished cooking drain water and put pasta back into the same pot.  Add 1/2 cup butternut squash (canned or frozen/thawed), 2 tbsp milk, 1/4 cup shredded cheese (I used a blend from TJ’s) and 2/3 cup 365 brand Mixed Veggies. 

This was amazingly creamy and gooey.  I am so making this again.  The pasta texture was great not at all any different than regular wheat pasta.  Maybe because I jazzed it up.

HPIM9278

Dessert was an apple with a spot of PB.  No more Vita-Tops for this mama either :(

 

HPIM9279

So as you can see I am managing my new diet and trying to have some variety.  I really feel 100% better so I am not willing to go back to eating wheat just yet.  I may never go back to eating it – if this diet works then I am cool with it.  I am really surprised at how many people have the same issue as I do and the resources out there for us are great. I am thrilled to have stores in my town that carry a good selection of GF products too.  I even found a magazine called Living Without and it is full of great stuff. 

I am off to get some rest as tomorrow is a cleaning day.  Enjoy your evening and thanks to everyone who sent me links to GF sites. 

11 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

YOU MUST TRY PURE BARS!!

Mariposa said...

I need to try the Pure Bars too! If Veggie Girl eats them they must be good!

Sammie- there is a blogger meet up on May 3rd in Boston, Rhodey Girl Tests is holding it, if you are interested i can send you the link to her site. you and i may be the only ones eating GF, but at least i would have some company!

K said...

That dinner sounds FABULOUS! Pure comfort food! I'm convinced that if one puts enough nut butter on anything it'll taste alright :)

Lindsay said...

Proud of you for being so upbeat about this change! The food and pictures look great, don't be worried about posting about "boring" food, especially when it is food that is no longer making you sick! You'll get your groove and be creative as you learn. :)

Sarah (lovINmytummy) said...

Oooh, oooh, I thought of something else...Trader Joe's GF Gingersnaps. They are AWESOME with a cup of tea!

TJ's also makes a really good low salt rice cake.

I promise, I don't work for Trader Joe's....though I kind of wish I did.

Amanda said...

MMM Veggie Girl is right - 1/2 a pure bar could easily take place of your vitamuffins!!

Why don't you toast your cheese sandwich? I looked at it and thought "Grilled cheese!!!"

CLRCassie said...

You should try Authentic Foods Chocolate Cookie Mix! Soo good! http://www.glutenfree-supermarket.com/cookie-mix.aspx

Sammie said...

Mariposa,
That would be great. She is on my blog roll so I will check it out.

CLRCassie,
Thanks for the link.I checked it out and there is soy in that mix so it is a no-no for me. I can't do soy in any form.

Erica said...

Hey! you should get your package today- let me know if you don't ;) What a cute little puppet D made! I love rice cakes now too- in fact my favorite are the plain without salt. Is that odd? haha

greendogwine said...

That cheesy pasta looks fabulous!

D is quite the model - he's totally workin it in that second picture! :)

seesaraheat said...

I love PB on rice cakes, a friend at work let me in on that secret a few weeks ago :)

Glad you are feeling better, that is the most important thing!