Friday, March 20, 2009

Gluten Free Dessert

I managed to get some things accomplished around my house this afternoon.  See I told you that 2nd wind would kick in.  The only problem with that is I have yet to sit down and that includes my dinner – not a good thing.  Tonight I will be relaxing that is for sure. 

Ok onto the food.  I had a piece of gluten free bread with PB as a little snack to tide me over until dinner.  The more wholes in the bread the less filling.  I will be looking for a different bread at Whole Foods – I really hope they are all not like this.  Actually I did spot one at TJ’s today.  I was worried I might chip a tooth on it that is how hard it was – needless to say I put it back on the shelf. 

HPIM9306

 

For dinner I made a salad – lettuce, red pepper, zucchini, chicken and salsa dressing LovIN style.  Thanks Girlfriend this was delicious.  On the side I had a few of the new TJ’s Rice Crisps I bought today. They are pretty good but not amazing.  Are you seeing a pattern with my GF choices this afternoon?

 

HPIM9312

Since my tastebuds are dying for something tasty I tried my hand at a GF dessert.  Who better to turn to for a recipe than Miss VeggieGirl.  I discussed altering her recipe with her beforehand and she said to go for it and boy am I glad that I did.  I finally have something moist and delicious to eat. 

 

HPIM9307 

I looked at her recipe for Figgy Blondies for some much needed help in the GF baking department. Here are my substitutions – instead of the coconut yogurt I used a 5.3 oz container of Trader Joe’s Greek yogurt with honey, 1/2 a cup of Organic evaporated cane sugar, 2 tablespoons canola oil and omitted the vanilla, dried fruit and milk.  The batter was actually very smooth and spreadable so no milk was needed.  I left out the dried fruit & nuts so that maybe D would try them too (he’s not a fan of either).  Next time I am definitely adding chocolate chips.  I did sprinkle a half tsp of sugar over the top before baking which gave the bars a nice crispy topping. 

I first tried one with a little fruit – my mouth was happy (and so was my belly). 

 

HPIM9315

 

Then I went back for another and put some sunflower seed butter on it. Yes, I was a little excited by these.

 

HPIM9316 

Thanks VeggieGirl for letting me tweak your recipe.  I will have to try your version if I can get my hands on a container of Coconut Yogurt. 

My hubs had some of Erica’s bread for dessert – he quite enjoyed it.  He had no idea it was vegan. 

HPIM9318

Time for this mommy to go relax.  I hope you have a fabulous evening. 

6 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your version of the recipe!!! Nice work, Sammie!! Hooray :-D

thecleanveggie said...

sounds delicious!

DrMom said...

Sammie- With Passover (Jewish holiday) coming up, there are lots of passover desserts and bread-like items available. These items are both wheat and soy free. I like zabars.com for our passover treats. Also, you can find lots of recipes at gluten-freegirl.com.. I have a PhD in clinical nutrition. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions.

Sarah (lovINmytummy) said...

Thanks for the shout out...but really, we just have Mexico to thank ;)

Glad you found a GF way to get some treats in!

Sammie said...

DrMom,
Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into that site too.

ksgoodeats said...

Sorry you've been having a tough time finding good food that won't upset your stomach :( That dessert however?! Amazing!