Monday, March 23, 2009

Cornmeal Pizza Crust

Whew, what a night!!  My poor little guy was way over tired tonight. He actually started to fall apart while Charlie attempted to read him a story. I just ended up taking him up to his room where I rocked my little baby to sleep. Thankfully he is now off in dreamland. 

Nothing exciting happened around my homestead this afternoon so I am just going to get to the food. 

I had a cup of sludge protein this afternoon – 1 cup unsweetened almond milk and hemp protein.  It was so thick I wasn’t sure it would flow through the straw. 

 

HPIM9395

I also had 2 rice cakes with almond butter and raisins.

 

HPIM9400

 

I bought a new cookbook this weekend and decided to try my first recipe tonight.  You all know that I quite enjoy pizza but now I must avoid the wheat crust. Well I found a recipe that uses cornmeal (polenta) as the crust.

 

HPIM9404

 

I followed the recipe except I did not add the cheese or garlic salt. I used garlic powder and then a smidgen of salt. 

I baked the crust until it was browned and crispy. Then came the toppings.

 

HPIM9401

 

I used a can of no salt added diced tomatoes (drained of all the liquid), 2 slices of Applegate Farms Ham, 3/4 cup shredded cheese (I have a blend from Trader Joe’s) and about 1/2 a tsp dried rosemary. 

HPIM9410   

I was hoping that my hubs would partake in the GF meal too. Lucky for me he was willing.  I only had to make 2 different things for dinner tonight – there was no way D would eat this. 

I loved it!  Charlie was pretty satisfied with it too. He said that he would like a side of sauce to dip the pizza in. Unfortunately I am all out of marinara sauce.  I wouldn’t want to add a lot of sauce to the crust just in case it would get soggy. As it was, the crust was a great texture and not soggy at all.  I will be making this again – probably more often than I would normally make pizza. It was such a quick recipe and very tummy friendly. 

 

HPIM9407

 

For dessert I had a Cocoa Loco bar.

 

HPIM9411 

It is only 8:30 but I am heading up to my bed. I hate to be such an old lady and ignore my favorite blogs tonight but I need some sleep. For the next 3 days I am going to be in kiddo overload. Tomorrow I am heading to my sissy’s house to watch Rocco, Wednesday I am babysitting and then Thursday it is back to my sissy’s to watch Rocco, Mackenzie and one of Mackenzie’s friends (D will be there too). 

I hope you have a great night. I will catch up on your lovely blogs tomorrow while I eat my breakfast.  See you then.

4 comments:

Erica said...

This looks and sounds awesome! I love cornmeal. Great recipe! Hope D gets some good sleep

VeggieGirl said...

Great eats!!

Have fun with Rocco tomorrow!!

ksgoodeats said...

Ok that pizza - fabulous! I would really love to try a pizza like that, sounds yummy! Hope the rest of your night is uneventful :)

Angie said...

That pizza looks incredible! Is that your first recipe from that cookbook? Let us know if the rest of it is any good!