Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Starting with a Biga

Happy Tuesday!  The sun is shining but it is not the least bit warm out there. Thankfully it is much less windy – I thought the wind was going to bust through my windows at one point yesterday. 

I was out the door at 4:50 and ready for a super workout. I did a 3 mile run, 5.5 mile ride on the Stationary Bike, back to the treadmill for another 3 mile run and then weights. 

Breakfast today was another creamy bowl of oat bran.  After cooking, I added some cooked chopped apple chunks and lots of cinnamon.  

 

HPIM8631

 

I topped it with 1/2 a tbsp PB and a tsp of agave.  I love the little tasty agave pools just waiting to be savored. 

 

HPIM8633 HPIM8632

 

 

 

 

 

Instead of mixing 1/4 cup cottage cheese into the oat bran, I had it on the side with some of the cooked apples & cinnamon.  To cook the apple, I just cored and chopped it then tossed it around in a hot nonstick pan till soft.  It was as easy as that. 

 

HPIM8634 

I decided to bake a loaf of bread by hand – not in my bread machine.  I used to make bread ALL the time, but have not had much time to devote to it these days.  Well last night I mixed up a biga and I am going to make a loaf of Pugliese.  I have the best book – The Bread Bible – which has so many great bread recipes.  All the recipes I have made from this book have been outstanding. 

Here is my biga last night.

HPIM8629

 

Here it is this morning – look at those beautiful bubbles.  When I took the lid of I got a big whiff of that yummy yeasty smell.  I love the smell of fresh dough.

 

HPIM8635

And the complete dough after kneading and it’s first business letter turn. 

 

HPIM8640

This dough feels like a soft pillow.   It is just about time for the second business letter turn. Stay tuned to see how it comes out – it better be good.

4 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Same deceptive weather here, haha :-D

STUNNING breakfast.

Gorgeous dough!!

Happy Tuesday!!

foodsthatfit said...

I am very impressed by your early morning workout dedication! I hope the bread turns out great!

ksgoodeats said...

That's how the weather is here! Bright and sunny but FREEZING! I love your cottage cheese combo :)

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) said...

Tasty agave pools - love it!

Can't wait to see the bread. Ahh, I wish I could smell it baking!