Saturday, February 7, 2009

Rocking The Kitchen

Hello out there in blog world. I hope you all had a great Saturday. This morning I got up before my guys and did Self Magazine, Jump Off the Jiggle routine. I went through the entire sequence 3 times at the end of each I used my Water Rower for 2 minutes. It took me a little over an hour and I burned 464 calories – pretty good for just jumping around. That just goes to show how easy it is to get exercise – just get up and MOVE IT. I actually had my heart rate up to 178 at one point – I love my pretty pink Polar. I followed that super sweat fest with a 60 min. Detox Yoga class from Yoga Download. I love all the twist – squeeze out those toxins baby.

For breakfast this morning I topped my bowl of oat bran with this Nature’s Promise bar that I found the other day.

HPIM8134

I cooked the usual 1/2 cup bran with water, then added cottage cheese to make it extra creamy and increase the protein a bit. The bar was nuts, seeds and dried fruit. The entire bar was 140 calories and 9 grams of fat. It broke apart pretty easily. I quite enjoyed this creamy, crunchy and chewy bowl of yummies.

HPIM8137

We ventured out early to take D to karate. After class we stopped at Border’s (our new routine). I got a tea and snacked on this bar. It was a first for me – not too bad as far as nutrition bars go. I like the Kahsi ROLL! bars much better.

HPIM8131

I bought a couple cookbooks (not that I need any more). I got Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World and a William Sonoma Dessert book. I was looking for another cake to make the hubs (more on that at the end).

When we got home I was in desperate need for lunch. The fastest thing I could whip together – a hummus and veggie wrap. On the side I had some TJ’s tortilla chips.

HPIM8139

Lunch also included Greek yogurt, Heart 2 Heart, strawberry preserves and raw almond butter. I bought the raw variety at TJ’s the other day – I usually get the roasted flavor. I really like the texture & flavor of the raw – I am converting to raw for good.

HPIM8140

I had to run to Whole Foods to get a few things for my baking extravaganza that was going to happen in my kitchen this afternoon.

When I got home I snacked on Greek yogurt mixed with strawberry preserves (it is TJ’s reduced sugar if you are wondering) and a Kashi Dark Chocolate Coconut granola bar.

HPIM8143

I baked and baked – then ate an apple.

HPIM8145

Dinner was fast and furious – I was starving. I made a simple salad – lettuce, shaved carrots, shaved zucchini, red pepper, cottage cheese, lemon juice and lots of spice.

HPIM8150

I also had a pita filled with melted Swiss cheese.

HPIM8149

Then came dessert. While I was at WF I bought a container of Purely Decadent Vanilla Bean coconut milk frozen dessert. I had 1/2 a cup of it with one of my vegan cupcakes (made today of course). I made the low fat cupcake recipe from my new cookbook. I subbed 1/2 whole wheat pastry flour for some of the AP flour and I used agave nectar in place of white sugar. They recommend decreasing the liquid in the recipe if you do that so I decreased the amount of rice milk. They are a simple vanilla flavored cake and super moist. I have never baked with soy yogurt or non-dairy milk before but after tasting this little guy I am going to try out some of the other recipes. They all sound so yummy – where do I go next?

HPIM8153

Now onto the baking for my honey. Tomorrow is his birthday and I always make him a special treat. Yesterday D and I made a Genoise cake from a King Arthur Flour recipe.

HPIM8115

I layered the cake with chocolate and mocha buttercream frosting – yeah I tried to go all out. Too bad Charlie was not that crazy about it. He said that the mocha buttercream wasn’t that great. Well I can’t have him hating his birthday cake so I went back to the kitchen for another round of cakey goodness.

HPIM8126

This time I made a basic pound cake from America’s Test Kitchen. It was a very easy recipe and the cake baked up nicely. When it was completely cool I sliced it into 3 layers. In between each layer I spread Sour Cream Fudge Frosting and Heath Bar Butter Toffee pieces.

HPIM8166

I then covered the entire cake in with the same frosting and more toffee bits. The assembly of this cake came from my new William Sonoma cookbook. After seeing the finished product, Charlie is really looking forward to cutting into it tomorrow. I really enjoyed rocking in my kitchen 2 days in a row.

HPIM8167

I will have to get a picture of his cake after cutting – the layers should look pretty cool.

I am really hoping to hit the pavement tomorrow morning. I think the weather will be much more bearable than it has been. It was in the high 40’s this afternoon – we had a little heat wave :) There is still so much snow that needs to melt but I think that the roads will be safe to run on.

That’s all for tonight. See you tomorrow.

8 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

BEYOND amazing eats and treat!! I envy your frosting skills :-D

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) said...

Both of those cakes sounds amazing Sammie!

TJ's raw almond butter is my new favorite. My jar is almost empty. :(

Erica said...

WOW! You are an awesome awesome wife! Both cakes look amazing!

K said...

Holy cow - BOTH of those cakes are restaurant quality! You're so sweet to make another cake for him :)

Maggie said...

I really love detox yoga. It's so good for my digestive system :) I may have to buy that cupcake book - I always hear good things.

lisa said...

Hi Sammie! My hubbie recently got me the Vegan Cupcakes T.O.T.W. cookbook, I'm in LOVE. This weekend I made both the basic chocolate cupcake with coconut pecan frosting (decadent!) AND the peanut butter cupcake with melty chocolate ganache (holy yum!). My coworkers have been in heaven. Guess I've gotta whip up a batch of the sexy lowfat vanilla variety next--your picture looked so yum yummies! Hope Charlie loves his (2nd) birthday cake! You're one hardcore mama in the kitchen.

Kailey (SnackFace) said...

Whoahhh Sammie your cake skillz are crazy! Those are beautiful! Someone's an awesome wifey :)

George Erdosh said...

I love your breakfast idea. Although I make my own (not very sweet) granola, after yesterday's (Sunday) meeting we hosted, fresh-baked sticky buns were the treats and enough left to freeze some. This morning two found their way to my plate, refreshed in the toasted oven.

YUM!

Check out my latest (Nov/08). It’s getting great reviews:

Tried and True Recipes from a Caterer’s Kitchen—Secrets of Making Great Foods

On Amazon, etc.