Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Cheaters DO win!!!

Today D and I played Hi Ho Cherry-O – a cute game that teaches little ones how to count.  He is such a cheater.  At one point I said “You know cheaters never win”. Well he took his turn, picked his last cherry off the board and said “I just won – looks like cheaters do win”. I could not stop laughing. Yeah, I taught him a lesson today – Mommy’s way of playing is the boring way and obviously the way to lose. 

I may have lost at the game but I won in the kitchen today.  I made not one but 2 things with glorious dough.  It is amazing what flour, yeast, water and salt can do – that is all the ingredients in both recipes. 

First here is the beautiful Pugliese.

I set it in a colander lined with a floured towel to rise.  You can see how soft and smooth the dough was.  

HPIM8653

It has a great crusty exterior

 

HPIM8661

 

And a soft and chewy interior.

 

HPIM8677

 

D chowed his piece with a little drizzle of olive oil – his request.  Oh man, he looks so grown up in this shot – where is my little peanut????

 

bread

I also made Bialys this afternoon.  The dough comes together quickly then you just have to let it rise.  Traditionally the center filling is an onion mixture but I decided to top mine with shredded cheese. These were going to be what I fed my hubs for dinner so I wanted them to be kind of like mini pizzas without sauce. 

 

HPIM8679 

I made six and Charlie ate 2 but commented that he was tempted to eat a third.  I would say he liked them. He also had 2 pieces of the other bread – he said that was awesome too.

 

HPIM8682

Now on to my eats for the day.

This morning I snacked on a Detour bar.

 

HPIM8643

Lunch was a small salad – lettuce, alfalfa sprouts, zucchini, pumpkin, lemon jusice  and lots of my favorite spice blend.

 

HPIM8650

 

For some protein I mixed a can of low sodium tuna (365 brand) with no salt added canned diced tomatoes, a little mustard and dried basil.  I know it sounds weird but it tasted great.

 

HPIM8648

I also had a Flat-Out wrap, 1/2 cup Greek yogurt and fresh blueberries. I did end with a sweet Z Bar but there is no photo because my camera battery decided to conk out during the lunch photo session.  I popped the battery on the charger so I could capture my bread baking extravaganza.

 

HPIM8645

This afternoon I already explained the butt whooping by Mr. Cheater Pants.  I stopped to eat a Luna bar because a day without Luna just doesn’t feel right.  This flavor is a favorite – closely tied with the Cookies and Cream bar. 

 

HPIM8663 

For dinner I took 2 slices of my freshly baked bread, topped them with red pepper and a slice of swiss cheese. I put it in the toaster oven to get all melty and crispy.  Oh baby, this bread is great. 

 

HPIM8667

I had a little fruity & cottage cheese mix too.  I topped 1/4 cup cottage cheese with a banana, strawberries and a dab of PB. I am not the first to say it but I feel I must – PB and bananas were made for each other.

 

HPIM8671

For dessert – yeah, that wasn’t it – I had 2 mini TJ’s soy cream sandwiches. A little smear of PB might have made it’s way onto one of these little guys after the photo was taken – it just felt right.

 

HPIM8673 

So there you have it.  My day of baking, yummy food and getting beat at board games by a 4 year old.  I did do other things like laundry and dishes – but those aren’t things that I don’t do every day. 

Time to get that little cheater cheater bacon eater into bed. See you sometime tomorrow. I have to babysit in the AM then get my haircut at 1 o’clock, so I might not have a chance to post until later in the afternoon. It is going to be another crazy day. I am actually going to get a little change to the hair.  The long sides are making me nuts – I feel like I have puppy dog ears when I run.  It won’t be too drastic but back to the way my hair used to be.  Have a great night.

12 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Wow that board game brings back nostalgia, haha - love it!!

Faaaabulous baking adventure you had today!!

ksgoodeats said...

Your bread looks amazing!! I always used to get mad when the kid I babysat would cheat - ah well!

Haha puppy dog ears :) Enjoy getting your hair cut tomorrow!

foodsthatfit said...

Your bread looks fabulous! Have you ever heard of this recipe from Mark Bittman for No-Knead Bread?

Link:http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

I make it all the time now, and probably only take 10 minutes of actual manual labor, the rest of the time it just sits and rises on its own, no kneading! It tastes just like a loaf you would get at a bakery!

greendogwine said...

I MEAN....does D ever have a bad day? that cute little kiddo is always smiling - making me happy! :)

Rose said...

That bread looks delicious. Aw, D is such a cute little guy!

Erica said...

hahahah D is too cute. What awesome stuff you made in the kitchen today! I love making bread- I feel so accomplished! Yours looks like it turne dout just perfect. Have a good night- get some rest.

Sarah (lovINmytummy) said...

Those Detour bars are making me curious. What is the difference between the Yoga bar and the Cycling bar???

Sammie said...

Sarah,
The Yoga Bar has has lemon balm which as the label says is good for increased calmness.

Lauren said...

Your baked goods look great!

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) said...

I love that D asked for olive oil drizzled on his bread. Such sophisticated taste! :)

You've totally inspired me Sammie. I have my first ever homemade loaf of bread rising as we speak...we'll see how it turns out. Bread takes patience!

Can't wait to see the new do!

HeatherBakes said...

We used to play that game at my grandparents' house!! Wow, memories :)

The bread looks amazing. Great job!

I'm hooked on the chocolate raspberry Luna right now... though I was snacking on one the other day and my Dad asked for a bite- he almost spit it out. Whatever, they're good!

Aggie said...

Your bread looks beautiful!

Your little boy is growing up, what a cutie! We like playing Hi Ho Cherry O too!