Friday, January 30, 2009

Goodies

I told you earlier today that we were going to the doctors with Charlie.  He had to go to a podiatrist because he somehow got superficial frostbite know as chilblains – yes it is kind of freaky looking.  My poor guy has it on all 10 toes and he was having a tough time wearing shoes this past weekend.  The only way to cure this is to NEVER let his feet get cold AGAIN.  If he does not take care of his feet and the chilblains do not heal he could get an infection and potentially loose toes.  I am totally going to be the sock and slipper Nazi.  If I see him so much as walk 2 steps barefoot this winter his butt is toast. 

When we got home I had to prepare lunch ASAP because D’s friend Henry was on his way over. 

I had a pita with melted Swiss cheese and Sweet Potato Food Should Taste Good tortilla chips. 

 

HPIM7950

On the side I had some carrots and celery with 1/4 cup hummus which I sprinkled with my favorite seasoning blend (curry, cumin, cardamom, coriander, turmeric and paprika).

 

HPIM7946

I also enjoyed a cup of tea and a Z Bar while chatting with my friend Kathy.  It was nice to have an adult conversation this afternoon. 

 

HPIM7951

Later in the afternoon I mad my usual 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, Cinnamon Puffins, TJ’s High Fiber cereal and tbsp PB mixer. 

 

HPIM7953

Dinner was a warm salad seasoned with my fav. blend.  I cooked zucchini, broccoli, tomato, and red pepper in a pan sprayed with nonstick spray.  I served all that scrumptious veg with a bed of lettuce,  1/4 cup Greek yogurt for protein and Flat-Out chips for crunch.  

 

HPIM7958

 

I had an apple and a tbsp PB along with my salad. 

 

HPIM7966

 

Now lets get to the goodies.  I received a box of raw treats from Raw Reform this afternoon.  My hubs and I tried a few Kale Chips – WOW!!!  I was so shocked how good they are.  At first they are crunchy but then they kind of melt onto your tongue – kind of weird but good.  Charlie tried the  Raw Mineral Rich Crunch – way too many seeds for me.  He really liked it and said it reminded him of those Asian style rice crackers but with a heartier texture.  Stay tuned for more reviews, as you can see they generously provided us with some interesting stuff. 

 

HPIM7972

 

My dessert this evening was a Kashi Dark Chocolate Coconut bar. 

 

HPIM7974

I did my favorite 60 min. Yoga For Runners class tonight.  I’m still using the space heater while I do this class and it feels so nice to get my body warm and comfy for a whole hour.  I’m watching What Not to Wear and ready to just chill out before heading up to bed.

Tomorrow D has karate and then we are going to get Charlie new winter boots, furry slippers (by that I mean faux fur) and lots of warm socks.  Sounds like lots of fun. 

Have a great night. 

8 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Yikes!! I'm praying that Charlie's frostbite is 100% cured soon!!

I just read about those Food Should Taste Good sweet potato chips in the newest issue of Clean Eating magazine - they sound fabulous!!

Mmm, lovin' the Puffin mess and all the nut-butter you had today - holy yum!!

Fabulous raw goodies!!

Enjoy your evening!!

greendogwine said...

WOW - those kale chips sound great from your description!

Sorry about the frostbite - that's crazy, but sounds like "the kind" you would want to get!

have a great weekend!

ksgoodeats said...

Ahh - definitely keep Charlie's feet nice and toasty!!

LOVE your eats and what a fun package :D

Charlie said...

I'll live, I guess. But I was thinking that The Chilblains would be a good name for a band.

The kale chips were pretty awesome. They start out tasting a little like spinach then the taste transforms into a Cheez-it, and strangely this is actually a good thing. Along with the texture transformation they undergo as you chew them this makes them one of more unusual snacks out there. They're good.

They also reminded me that I haven't had Portuguese kale soup in years - but note that kale soup usually has chourizo in it so it's not a vegan application. :)

Meghann said...

That package of goodies looks great. I ahev never heard of them, but I may need to check their website out.

A busy mom's blog said...

Oh my gosh! Keep those tootsies warm! I hate my feet getting cold and I live in Georgia! I can't even imagine! My girls love to take their socks off all the time, but we don't really have that problem down here!

I love your blog! I actually just started my own blog. I am a mom of two girls and pregnant with my third. I am just starting it, so it is still pretty basic. I hope you and others check it out.
http://ahealthybusymom.blogspot.com/

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) said...

Sammie, so sorry about D's toes. That's sounds serious. Go sock nazi!

I'm loving all your crunchy action - I've got to have that crunch as well!

Hope you're enjoying your Saturday. :)

Ryan Mayberry said...

Celery and Carrots = best dish listed!