Sunday, December 28, 2008

Vita-Mix Ice Cream

This afternoon we tried out the Vanilla Ice Cream recipe that came with the Vita-Mix blender. It is so simple, only 5 ingredients. The result was delicious and very flavorful.

HPIM6772

My guys really enjoyed this healthy treat too. D was very excited that he was getting home-made ice cream instantly. We have an ice cream machine which takes 20 –30 minutes to produce soft serve. This was so quick.

It makes a big batch so I think the next time I will make half the recipe because we couldn’t eat it all and this isn’t the type of ice cream you can pop in the freezer. I think it would turn into a solid brick of ice. I ended up tossing half which I felt was wasteful.

HPIM6773

We but the vanilla ice cream back into the blender and added some Ovaltine and more ice because it had started to melt. We were trying to get some chocolate ice cream too. It tasted good but I think I added too much ice.

HPIM6774

I can’t believe how powerful this blender is. It really whips some serious air into the food/liquid. I can just imagine making hummus in this guy. I bet it would be sooooo creamy.

So that was my first experience with the Vita-Mix and I am soooooo thrilled that I am able to test out many more things. It is an awesome addition to my kitchen and I can see myself using it ALL the time. You can whip up batter for pancakes, waffles, bread, muffins – the list is seriously endless. There is even a recipe for insect repellent (for your garden plants) using chili peppers – how cool is that.

The rest of my day was very low-key. I hung out with my little man while my huz cleaned the basement (he has actually retired back down there for more action). I just might be able to find what I am looking for on the workbench when he is finished – it was a disaster.

Here is a recap of the days eats. Nothing exciting so I am leaving you with a photo gallery.

HPIM6766 HPIM6768
HPIM6780
HPIM6782 HPIM6784

We set up D’s bed tent tonight – that thing is cool. I would have loved to have something like that on my bed when I was a kid. Who am I kidding – I would love one even now :) I wonder if he will stay in his own bed ALL night???? He always sneaks into my bed and I don’t even know it until he starts kicking me in the middle of the night. I let you know in the morning what happens.

That is all for today. I am off to call my mommy – I miss her and really want to hear her voice. See you in the AM.

5 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Great ice cream from the new blender!!

Hooray for the food photo gallery!! :-D

I definitely had a bed tent when I was little, haha!!

Enjoy talking with Mom!!

glidingcalm said...

awww i love making ice-cream/sorbet consistency smoothies!! eating smoothies by spoon is the best method in my opinion.

lovely eats as always, Sammie!

Meghann said...

That Ice Cream looks amazing! Again so jealous of your new addition. :) I'm glad you and the fam are enjoying all of teh great new treats!

Anonymous said...

You can freeze the vita mix Ice cream and when you wish to eat it let it sit out and it will thaw out. Kinda funny as I am eating some that I just took out right now (minus the powdered milk and a 3/4 teaspoon additional vanilla) Yummy!

Anonymous said...

If a recipe makes too much, freeze the excess in ice cube tray. Then when you are ready to eat it, toss those ice cubes back in the vitamix and re-blend them.