Monday, December 1, 2008

Toasted Turkey & Veggie Sandwich

For lunch today I wanted a warm sandwich.  I started by sautéing 4 slices of green pepper and thinly sliced summer squash in a non-stick pan.  When the veg was cooked to my liking, I layer it with 2 slices of roasted turkey, 1 slice of Swiss cheese and TJ’s Red Pepper spread between 2 slices of Sprouted Wheat Bread.  I popped it in my toaster oven till the cheese was melty and the bread was crispy.  This sandwich was amazing flavor wise and comforting because it was so warm and toasty. 

HPIM5933

I had a few raw summer squash rounds on the side.

HPIM5934

I ending things on a sweet note with a Vita Brownie and a tablespoon of PB – yum, yum, yum!!!!! 

HPIM5935

I would like to try to make mini chocolate muffins to keep in my freezer because the Vita brand products are a bit $$$$.  I paid $5 for 4 of these guys.  I need to find dairy free mini chocolate chips or maybe I will have to settle for the larger chips.  I know that Whole Foods sells a bag of vegan chocolate chips so maybe I will pick up a bag.  A little mommy/D baking event might be in the near future.  We really are not that busy today so maybe I will go pick up the necessary ingredients to make some yummies. 

So the results are in for the POTM Challenge and guess who the winner is – this Mama right here. I can’t believe I won.  Seriously, I have never won anything in my life.  Everyone who participated did a awesome job – some serious mileage was covered.  Great job everyone!!!  Thanks to our lovely hostess Bobbi – this event was super fun!!! 

Enjoy the rest of the afternoon.  See you tonight. 

15 comments:

Andrea said...

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ashley (sweet and natural) said...

Good job Sammie! I like to toast my sandwiches in my George Forman. :-)

Charlie said...

Nice work, babe.

therunningaddict said...

Congratulation Sammie! Way to Pile On the Miles!

Runeatrepeat said...

Conrats on the win :)

Erica said...

Congrats on winning! How exciting! Your lunch looks so delicious!

carolinebee said...

HUGE congrats that is so awesome!! :D

magpie said...

That is SO awesome! You run a lot, I thought you'd probably win :)

You should try looking for baking mixes on sale, and then you can add goodies to them like apples to bulk them up... I did that with a Fiber One mix this weekend and it was really good. The mix was only $2 and I got 16 muffins out of it (adding 2 apples, some walnuts, and the other required ingredients - egg whites and a mashed banana instead of the oil). It's much faster than baking on my own but much cheaper than buying the Vitamuffins.

VeggieGirl said...

Looove warm lunches.

HELL YES FOR WINNING!!!!!!

K said...

CONGRATS!!

HangryPants said...

Congrats on the Pile on the Miles challenge! That is incredible. :D

Aggie said...

What a great sandwich...I sometimes crave something warm for lunch but don't really want to cook anything up, this sounds so good and easy!

I was looking at your sweet potato fries below, the same thing usually happen to mine so now that I started making your rounds I'm sticking with them!

Congrats on your award!!

polly said...

hey sammie! Girl, you are the running MAMA! Love hearing about getting ready for Christmas with D. He is a stocking stuffer himself. :)

Do you think you could add me to your blog roll? thanks, sweetie!

VeggieGirl said...

So guess what - I just found out that the cinnamon & peanut butter flavors of Puffins are vegan, gluten-free, AND soy-free!! So I get to try them!! Which flavor do you prefer??

Sammie said...

Aggie,
Yeah, I am sticking to the rounds too. I was just trying to make something different. As the saying goes - if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Polly,
You have been added.

VeggieGirl,
I like them both but the Cinnamon is my favorite. Let me know what you think if you do end up trying them.

Thank you everyone for the Congratulations.