Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Sweet & Salty Cookie

This afternoon D and I went to the library and checked out three books from the Nature’s Children series – he really enjoys learning about different animals.  Today he chose lizards, Canada Geese and snakes. 

When we got home it was time for a snack.  I had 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup TJ’s High Fiber cereal and a sliced golden delicious apple.

HPIM5981 

Then it was cookie baking time – I opted for a sweet and salty recipe which I found in my King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking cookbook. My honey loves cashews so this recipe was a perfect fit for him.  If you haven’t noticed by now – cookies are my favorite baking project.

 

HPIM5983 HPIM5985 HPIM5991
HPIM5988 HPIM5996 HPIM5990
HPIM5992 HPIM5987 HPIM5989

Tonight for dinner I finally tried to make Tuna Cakes.  I saw Lindsey make them a while back and have been wanting to try to make them.  I checked out the recipe she used and made some adjustments for the ingredients that I wanted to use.  It is so simple – seriously it can’t get any easier.  I drained 1 can of tuna, then added an egg white and 1 tablespoon of oat bran.  I seasoned that mixture with Old Bay, parsley flakes and pepper.  All I did was mix it all together in a bowl and form it into 2 patties.  I cooked the patties in a pan sprayed with nonstick spray for maybe 15 minutes (I really didn’t time it – I was trying to feed my little man dinner at the same time).  I ate one of the patties with a sweet potato that I cooked in the microwave then topped it with a tablespoon of TJ’s Red Pepper spread.  The Tuna Cake was awesome – it had a nice kick to it from the Old Bay.  I am so glad that I made these because I can whip these up in a jiff for a healthy and quick meal anytime.  AND I have one left over for tomorrow. 

HPIM6000

I also had 2 Wasa crackers with a tablespoon of PB with my dinner.  

HPIM5998

For dessert I had a Chocolate Brownie Z Bar and a cup of Sugar Cookie tea. 

HPIM6003

It is now time for me to get ready for bed.  The thought of my warm sheets is very alluring.  See you in the morning. 

3 comments:

Erica said...

Those tuna cakes look great! I'm not a tuna fan but Josh lovvvveeesss it! I might need to make him these! Thanks for posting it!

Cookies also look good! I feel the need to do some more baking...maybe tomorrow night :)

Rianna said...

hey sammie!

I enjoy reading your blog but I've never commented.
Those tuna cakes look amazing. I can't wait to try that tomorrow.
I'm just wondering--how do you cook your acorn squash? I tried once but didn't like the taste/texture very much. I was wondering if you could tell me the oven temp/time/any additions you put on before baking.
Thanks!
Rianna

Sammie said...

Rianna,
I put a halved acorn squash (seeds removed) cut side up in a pan with out anything on it. Then I bake it in a 400 or 425 degree oven till it is super soft (I just recently started eating the skin). That's all I do. I really enjoy the natural taste of veggies so I tend to not season them too much and I NEVER use butter. I think there is nothing worse than taking a bite of a fresh veg and the flavor is out numbered by the horrible taste of butter. Before eating the squash I might sprinkle on cinnamon - it depends if I am in a sweet or savory mood. Thanks for reading, I am glad that you finally commented - I love comments!