Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Speed

The great thing about being part of the blog world is that I get inspired by so many of my fellow bloggers.  Today my workout was so awesome and I owe it all to you guys.  I need to change things up now and then because I get into such a run, run, run rut.  I love the workout that I get from running. There is nothing worse than doing a different form of cardio (Elliptical, Stepmil, Stairclimber, Arc Trainer) and at the end feeling like it really wasn’t worth it.  I never get that feeling after a run. A bunch of you out there have been doing speed training workouts which sounded like something I would enjoy.  I have done intervals in the past but never on a regular basis.  Miss Caitlin in particular really got me thinking about adding some speed work to my routine.  My 4 mile run today consisted of 60 or 90 sec. sprints at the speed of 8.0 to 9.0 followed by a 90 to 120 sec. recovery at the speed of 6.8 to 7.2.  I was a sweaty mess by the end but boy did I feel amazing.

Now onto the eats.  Yesterday I purchased a carton of Low Sodium Butternut Squash soup at TJ’s.  I have never had this before but have seen it around the blog circuit bunches of times.  I topped my bowl with 1/4 cup Greek yogurt and cinnamon.  The soup was much sweeter than I expected – when I think soup I tend to imagine salty.  It was not overly sweet and I thought the flavor was good.  I think I need more of a chunky soup to feel satisfied.  I felt like I could put this in a big old mug, heat it up and drink it.  I think I will add some veggies to it to finish off the carton.

HPIM6363

I also had 2 pieces of Ezekiel Cinnamon Raisin toast.  One slice topped with Swiss cheese and the other a tbsp of PB and cranberry apple butter.

HPIM6361

D and I had to run some errands this afternoon.  I had a book that was due back at the library yesterday – oops!  My tummy is staring to growl so I need to go hunt down a snack.  See you tonight. 

4 comments:

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) said...

Yea for speed intervals. Those workouts always kick my booty into shape. I feel so good when they're done. Way to mix things up!

Meghann said...

I'm with you on changing runs up. I'm going to use caitlin as inspiration as well and try some speed work tomorrow. :)

VeggieGirl said...

Hooray for blogger inspiration!! Caitlin is amazing with her running, for sure.

I love the swirl on the PB toast - so artsy!!

Robin said...

I too am starting to think I need more speedwork in my training. I'm trying to incorporate more interval and hill training.