Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Hummus in Ten

Hummus is one of my favorite things to eat on my veggies but I hate when I buy a brand and all I taste is salt. I have made hummus in the past and it came out so-so – not thick enough for my liking.  I was so excited to try making hummus in the Vita-Mix. I found a recipe for Pumpkin Hummus in The Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook by Tosca Reno.  I left out the pumpkin oil because I don’t have any and the hummus still came out amazing. 

HPIM6816 HPIM6817

 

 

 

 

 

 

I consulted the hummus recipe in the cookbook that came with the machine to make sure I was blending it properly.  I can not believe how thick and creamy this stuff is.  I made it in seriously 10 minutes – that includes gathering the ingredients.  AND I cleaned the container with some soapy warm water in no time at all.  There is no reason for me to buy hummus at the store ever again.  I did not taste it right away because I made it before going to the gym.  I was really looking forward to lunch this afternoon.

 

HPIM6821

 

When I got home I was in need of a little something to tide me over while I cleaned myself up.  I had an apple and a piece of string cheese.

 

HPIM6828

 

When it was lunch time I made a salad that contained spinach, red pepper, zucchini, 1/2 a cup cottage cheese and 1/4 cup pumpkin hummus.  This is the best hummus I have ever had – I must try not to eat the whole bowl in one day.  The Vita-Mix whipped so much air into it which made it soooooo creamy. 

 

HPIM6832 HPIM6833

 

 

 

 

 

 

I also had 2 pieces of Ezekiel Cinnamon Raisin toast with a tbsp PB and strawberry preserves.  That plate was a Christmas present from my lovely mother-in-law.  She knows how much I love toile and always gives me the nicest stuff adorned with the pattern. 

 

 

HPIM6836

 

Here is who ended up coming home from the gym with me – he is Swampfire from Ben 10 Alien Force.  I love the face painting but man it is a pain to wash off – especially red & black.

 

swampfire

 

Unfortunately I must venture out into the WIND.  Hopefully we don’t blow away – it is so windy my house feels like it moves every time the wind blows.  We ran out of bar soap so unless we want to be stinky I must go get some more. 

Have a great afternoon.

10 comments:

Erica said...

wow! That hummus looks great and sounds soooo easy! I love hummus and have never tried to make my own but plan to do so when I finally get all my kitchen stuff out of storage ;)

D looks adorable! (I mean super tough ;)).

VeggieGirl said...

HUMMUS!!!! Holy yum.

Haha, D is too cute :-D

Hang in there with the winds!! They're mighty strong here too.

Kate said...

This vitamix seems awesome!! Do you know where I could buy one and how much they cost??

K said...

Gorgeous hummus - sounds fantastic!!

D is such a cutie! Don't get blown away!!

Sammie said...

Kate,
You can order it on-line. Check out the web-site www.vitamix.com. The blender I have is selling for $449.00 right now.

lovinmytummy said...

The hummus looks great...I think she has a zuchinni hummus in that book that will be good when our garden explodes in the summer!

Ahh...the joys of facepaint. My little one always cries because she doesn't want to take it off...but I've lost a pillowcase or two when I cave and let her wear it to bed!

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) said...

Pumpkin hummus - sounds divine. I always look at Eat Clean Diet Cookbook when I go to the bookstore. I'm embarrassed to admit that sometimes, I even write down some of the recipes and shove them in my purse. Awful, I know, but I'm so cheap when it comes to books. I'll have to see if my library has it as I must try that hummus. Glad you're loving the Vita-Mix.

Lovely plate :)

Sammie said...

Heather,
It is a great book - I highly recommend it.

Robin said...

I loooove pumpkin, and had never thought about pumpkin hummus. I'll give it a try, thanks!

Anonymous said...

Heather - I just got the eat-clean diet book and i must say, it IS fantastic. I too am super cheap when it comes to buying books but I found a used copy on amazon for 6 bucks (original price was $22 i think) and I am so happy with my purchase. Happy eating!