Saturday, December 20, 2008

Faux Cheese Sauce

Good evening, I hope the rest of your day went well.  We have been hanging inside were it is safe and warm.  I am most definitely busting out of here bright and early tomorrow before the snow starts to fall.  I really want to get in a run and the only way that will happen is if I go to the gym. 

This afternoon for a snack I tried out a new bag of Enjoy Life Granola that I picked up at Whole Foods when I was there today.  It is very crunchy and if you are lucky you might get a big chunk of goodness.  I topped 1/2 a cup Greek yogurt with 1/2 a cup granola.

HPIM6484 HPIM6485

 

 

 

 

 

For dinner I made a something very new to me – Raw Mac & Cheese.  I got the recipe from Heather over at Heather Eats Almond Butter.

It was pretty simple but requires some time which is why I started mine this afternoon. 

Here is the low down:

Slice and chop 4-5 summer squash into matchstick size pieces.  Place squash in a bowl and sprinkle with a little salt.  Let sit for 30-45 minutes. 

To make the Cashew Cheese Sauce combine the following ingredients in a blender and blend till smooth.

1 cup water

3/4 cup raw cashews

1 tbsp tahini

3 tbsp nutritional yeast

2 tbsp lemon juice

1 1/4 tsp salt

2 tsp onion powder

1/4 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp chili powder

pinch cayenne

pinch turmeric

Pour the sauce over the squash then put the entire mix into a casserole pan and place in the oven set to 115 degrees and prop the door open a crack. Let it warm through for 1-2 hours.

  I put it over some oat bran – 1/3 cup bran cooked with 3/4 cup water.  It was very tasty and even my huz liked it.  I am a big fan of the sauce which I think will taste good on many other things. 

HPIM6487

I also had a sliced apple and a tbsp PB.

HPIM6489

Tonight I tried a 60 minute Power Yoga – wow, I actually broke a sweat.  I did not think that I was going to need to have something to eat after but I was hungry afterward.  I ate a banana – I hope that does the trick.

HPIM6490

That’s about it for today.  I hope you have a great night.  See you tomorrow. 

4 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

I LOVE THAT ALLERGEN-FREE GRANOLA!!! I keep a bag in my pantry :-)

Fun recipe!!

Hooray for yoga!!

HangryPants said...

The cheese sauce looks really good and v. interesting!

Hope you're enjoying the snow. There is supposed to be MORE tomorrow!

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) said...

So glad you like the cheese sauce Sammie. I pour it on everything - it's amazing on steamed veggies! Have a good night.

K said...

That granola is SO GOOD!

Love the recipe too :)