Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A Bad Batch of Apples

This week I purchased Gala apples at the store and the 2 that I have had from the batch have tasted funny.  They are not the least bit sweet and I am finding them to be very unpalatable.  I am wondering if I cook them if their flavor will change – I hate to toss them out.

I love to add apples in my morning mess so on my way home from the gym this morning I ran to Stop & Shop and bought some Golden Delicious apples. I quickly threw together my breakfast because D and I had our babysitting shift this morning.  I had a bowl of oat bran mixed with water in the fridge waiting for me to jazz it up.  I added 1/2 a cup of Greek yogurt to the 1/3 cup bran that was moistened with 1/2 a cup of water. It is amazing how creamy the bran gets without even being cooked.  

HPIM6870

I added a chopped golden delicious apple, a Weetabix biscuit for some crispiness and a tbsp PB. 

 HPIM6868

We made it home before the roads got too cruddy.  It is snowing like crazy out there right now.  I think it is safe to say we are home for good today.  My Nana asked me to give her a perm but I think it is a good idea to just stay home and go to her house another day. 

I hope you are having a great day.  See you after lunch.

4 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

The ONLY apples that I find to be tasty right now are the Braeburn ones - give those a try!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR'S, EVE, SAMMIE!!

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) said...

Hey Sammie, whenever I guy mushy apples, I do one of three things:

1. Make apple butter
2. Make applesauce
3. Make dried apples - cut into thin slices and dry on parchment line cookie sheets with the oven on lowest setting and door left open.

Hope y'all don't get snowed in...again. Stay warm my friend!

Sammie said...

VG,
Thanks, I will look for that variety the next time I am at the store.

Heather,
Great ideas - I just might have to make applesauce or dried apples - yum!!

K said...

Applesauce!! Homemade is always better than store bought anyway :)

Have a great NYE!