Thursday, November 6, 2008

Sweet and Crispy

I am staring at the chipped nail polish on my fingernails right now wondering what I should say to you all this evening. For some reason my brain is a little mushy at the moment. I am really in the mood to crawl in bed and read - my new book has me quite intrigued.
Well at least I can recap the rest of my eats for you.
My afternoon snack started with cottage cheese (less than 1/2 cup - that was all I had left) and a Z Bar. I was still feeling hungry so I sliced a golden delicious apple and ate the whole thing - it was so sweet and yummy (yeah, no picture - sorry- it was a typical golden yellow skinned, round, about the size of my fist).

For dinner I was really in the mood for a sweet potato - one of the best things on the planet in my opinion. I sliced it into rounds then baked it in a 400 degree oven for 40 minutes or so - I really just kept checking till it was browned. My, my, my - it was sweet and crispy. AND I didn't even season this baby - mother nature at her best.

I ate my sweet potato with a piece of whole wheat swiss cheesy toast. A very simple, clean and satisfying meal.

If you haven't noticed by now, I don't really keep a lot of "dessert" foods in my house. My huz & D like to indulge in a piece of dark chocolate most nights. Right now they are working their way through the Halloween candy bowl. That is why I often create "dessert" out of healthy ingredients that I always have on hand. Cereal and yogurt are usually the stars of the dish. I really enjoy a nice healthy and not too sweet ending to the day. Don't get me wrong, I love ice cream, frozen yogurt and sorbet, but I would feel so crummy if I ate that stuff EVERY night. I don't eat packaged cookies - most contain milk ingredients - and I have never really been one to eat those sort of things. I would much rather have a homemade cookie/ brownie. If I am going to indulge I want it to be worth it. With that being said here is what I threw together as my "happy ending" to the day; 1/2 cup greek yogurt, a few tablespoons unsweetened applesauce, TJ's High Fiber cereal, Kashi Heart 2 Heart, Cinnamon Puffins and a 1/2 tablespoon each of Naturally Nutty Butter Toffee PB and Chocolate Sunflower Seed Butter - I love my nut butters.

I am off to remove my yucky looking polish - my fingers look a bit ragged like this. Nail polish never lasts on my nails because I wash my hands a billion times a day - that is mommyhood for you.
I hope you all had a great day. See you in the AM.

6 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Crispy sweet potatoes + mess = YUM!!

Oooh, what color will you choose for your nails?!??! Haha, I'm curious :-D

Sammie said...

VeggieGirl,
I might just go o'natural for the eve. I bought a new copper color that I haven't tried out yet so I will probably apply that one next. I always end up messing one or two nails up because I have something to tend to. I need to paint them when the D man is snoozing but I am not really in the mood tonight. Boy that was a ramble - sorry.

Erica said...

I can never keep nail polish on! Those potatos look great! I have a sweet potato sitting in the pantry - I may be making it using your method this weekend! We don't keep a ton of dessert in the house either! Josh likes lower fat ice cream bars and thats about it! Otherwise I bake!

strongandhealthy said...

I know I've told you a million times, I love your messes. You've got me hooked! Thanks for the wonderful ideas!

My nail polish never stays on and it takes so long to paint them and then wait for them to dry. It is fun to pamper yourself though! Enjoy your night!

loveofoats.com said...

i have been inspired by your "dessert" combos focusing around yogurt at the base and i cant thank you enough... once i stopped eating real dessert foods all the time, i noticed a change in my personality, in the way i feel, and skin complexion - it's been awesome (and even yummier!)!

happy friday!

Aggie said...

I love what you did with the sweet potatoes! I'll have to try that...I always do wedges, but the rounds look awesome!!

First time here...stumbled through from Fitnessista!