Thursday, November 13, 2008

Inspired

Hello friends - I hope you are having a lovely Thursday. This morning I decided to join Pile on The Miles Challenge which is being sponsored by Bobbi over at In Her Shoes. Therefore at the gym today I did a 5 mile run. D had fun playing with his buddies so all was good this morning.
After the gym I needed a little something in order to hold me over till lunch - plus I really wanted a hot & steamy shower. I had 1/4 cup cottage cheese and 2 tablespoons Cascadian Farm Maple Brown Sugar Granola.

My snackie held me over long enough to actually cook a meal for lunch - not the usual throw a few things together. This recipe was inspired by Miss Meghann who always cooks up the yummiest foods. She had an apple chicken sausage & sauerkraut last night for dinner and it looked like a very pleasing meal.
First I cooked 2 oz of Whole Wheat pasta; when cooked, drain and set aside in your serving bowl. Reserve a little pasta water - I only needed about 2 tablespoons.
Place a medium pan over medium heat. Remove the sausage from its casing (this is very easy if you purchase uncooked sausages). I bought an organic Apple Chicken sausage from Stop & Shop. Add the meat to the pan and break into small pieces as it cooks. It is done when no longer pink. Remove the meat to the pasta bowl.

To the pan add 1/2 a peeled and chopped apple, cook for about 3 minutes then add the reserved pasta water to deglaze the pan. Let most of the water cook off before adding 2 tablespoons sauerkraut. I used Silver Floss brand and I drained and rinsed it in a small colander before adding to my recipe. Let the mixture cook 2 minutes then add the pasta & sausage to the pan. Allow all the ingredients to cook for a few minutes stirring everything together as it heats through. Pour the deliciousness into a bowl and grate a little fresh ground pepper over the top - ENJOY!! My lunch today was super exciting - typically not something you see on my table - especially in the afternoon.

On the side I had the other 1/2 of my apple with a tablespoon of Naturally Nutty Butter Toffee PB.

I am off to visit my Nana - she called my this morning and asked if I would come over today. My Nana is such a sweetie-pie how could I say no.
Enjoy the afternoon.

4 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Hooray for joining the challenge!!!

Meghann's recipes are amazing - glad you too were inspired!!

Have fun with Nana!!

Meghann said...

Great idea to add the combo to pasta! I still have a apple chicken sausage in the freezer, I will have to remember this one. :)

runningwithfood.com said...

Aww ... hope you had a great time with your Nana!

Good luck with such a fun challenge!!

Your lunch looks fabulous!

*Erica* said...

I did 5 miles today, too! And yay for visits with Nana! You are very lucky to get to spend time with her!