Monday, November 24, 2008

Goodbye Stripy

This afternoon D and I went to the Library and brought home a couple books. It was snack time when we got home so I had a Z Bar. Then we read a book all about Meerkats which I actually found very interesting. I have been quizzing D on what we read and he learned quite a bit from the book.

HPIM5773

For dinner tonight I made a very delicious meal. The flavor combination might sound weird to you but it tasted dynamite. I topped spaghetti squash with a cooked organic apple chicken sausage (I removed the casing before cooking). I also included a 1/4 cup pumpkin and a 1/4 cup cranberry sauce (the stuff I made this afternoon) in the bowl. I finished it with a sprinkle of cinnamon. Like I said – odd combo – but was it ever so yummy.

HPIM5774

Along with it I had a toasted Sandwich Thin which I topped one half with a tablespoon of PB and the other half with melted lite swiss cheese.

HPIM5776

Unfortunately we had to have a funeral this evening – Stripy didn’t make it. He had come out of his shell the other night and was acting really strange. We put him in a confined dish so that the other crab wouldn’t bother him and we thought maybe he would go back into his shell. Well he didn’t and for the last 2 days he was curled up in a little ball and wasn’t moving. We buried him in the backyard and said farewell to the little critter. We still have his empty shell (don’t worry we boiled it to sterilize it) and will always remember the cute little guy. This was D's first experience with death and he started to ask a lot of questions like “Do we die?” Needless to say the situation this evening was a bit of a downer.

Our little man is all tucked in bed – hopefully cozy and warm. My honey and I are going to spend some time together snuggling in front of the TV – we might pop in a movie. I just made a cup of tea which I am going to sip while indulging in a Dark Chocolate Pomegranate Vita Brownie. I love the Vita Tops so I am hoping the brownie is just as yummy.

HPIM5780

I hope you had a great day. Two more days till Thanksgiving – are your plans all set? Mine aren’t :( We are still trying to figure out what we want to do – we like to live on the edge. Good night.

11 comments:

strongandhealthy said...

So sorry for your loss of Strippy.

Your dinner looks beautiful!

We had everyone over our place for Thanksgiving last year, so we're off the hook this year. We're headed home to see my side of the family!

strongandhealthy said...

Oh sorry, Stripy (I spelled it wrong)...oops!

VeggieGirl said...

FUN DINNER!!! Yum.

R.I.P., Stripy.

Erica said...

Owww I'm so sorry about Stripy! I bet that conversation with D was very difficult! Hes such a cutie, I hate to think that he is sad right now!

carolinebee said...

Sorry about Stripy, and D being sad :( Hope tomorrow is more upbeat

runningwithfood.com said...

Mmm ... your dinner sounds so good to me! Not strange at all! :)

Sorry to hear about Stripy!

Enjoy your q-time with your hubby!

ksgoodeats said...

Sorry about Stripy :(

The thin with melted cheese and PB is the best of both worlds!

Anonymous said...

waht is cranapple butter and how do you make it? also, how did you make your chocolate pumpkin cake it looks amazing! is it low calorie?

Sammie said...

The Cranberry Apple Butter is from Trader Joe's but the cranberry concoction that I had with dinner I made. I combined a bag of fresh cranberries, 1 cup water and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar in a medium saucepan and boiled it for 10 minutes. When it was cooked I added a tablespoon of agave nectar.
The Chocolate Pumpkin Bread is Tina's recipe (Carrots & Cake) and I don't think it is too bad calories wise. Mine has less than the original recipe because I left out the chocolate chips. I think it came out pretty sweet and not really chocolaty so I think if you reduced some of the sugar it would still taste good & it would cut a few calories.

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I am pretty sure D is Ok - you all are so sweet.

Meghann said...

I think your squash creation sounds like something right up my ally!

Sorry to hear about Strippy's passing. I still remember when my first pet died. He was a hamster named Chocolate and he died on Halloween night. When we were done trick or treating my sister and I went to grab Chocolate to play and he was cold and stiff. That was not a happy Halloween.

Sammie said...

Meghann,
That is so sad.
We have a hamster and his name is Milton - just another little critter for me to worry about. I should not have pets because when something happens to them I get really emotional.