Friday, November 28, 2008

Cran-apple Sauce

After my yogurt, acorn squash, TJ’s cereal snack I was still feeling hungry so I ate one of my Gluten Free Bars.

HPIM5879

Tonight I wanted to make more cranberry sauce because I have already eaten all that I made the other day – it was so yummy.  Instead of adding sugar and agave nectar, I added a  peeled, cored and chopped apple  to the cranberries and water.  I let the mixture cook for about 10 –12 minutes. 

HPIM5880

I used some of the cran-apple sauce as a topping to sautéed zucchini (I cooked it in a pan sprayed with non-stick spray) which was over a bed of lettuce.  My recipe produces a very tart sauce but I actually prefer it that way.  I would much rather taste the fruit than taste nothing but a sugary gelatinous mess.  My bowl here looks strange but it worked for my palate.

HPIM5881

I also stuffed 1/2 a roasted acorn squash with the cran-apple sauce – again another yummy combo.  On my plate is 2 pieces of TJ’s Sprouted Multi-Grain Bread (each slice has 5 grams of protein) woo-hoo!!!  I topped one slice with lite Swiss cheese then popped in under the broiler and the other slice has a TBS of PB.  The bread is delicious.  It is made with high protein sprouted wheat berries so it has a great nutty taste and a chewy texture. 

HPIM5882

My meal was followed up with a wedge of dark chocolate which was awesome. I like to let it melt in my mouth – it last longer and it gets very creamy.  I find that if you simply chew it, the chocolate flavor doesn’t fully come out.  Charlie quite enjoyed this chocolate too – you all know what a chocoholic he is. 

HPIM5885

I am still feeling so stuffy – I hate that wacko feeling in my head.  I think a nice warm cup of tea would be so great tonight.  We are going to watch a movie – Sense and Sensibility – I haven’t seen it but my huz has.  He is so sweet to watch it again.  Of course with my tea a Chocolate Brownie Z BAr would be the perfect treat so that is just what I am going to have.  I hope you had a great day.  Good night. 

6 comments:

Andrea said...

mmm chocolate IS so much better when it melts on your tongue ;) the cranberry apple combo sounds soo good!

K said...

That bread sounds great! Have a relaxing evening :)

VeggieGirl said...

Loooove the gluten-free bars and your dinner!!

Pleeeease get well soon, Sammie!!

magpie said...

Those wedges are delicious... I like to let them melt in my mouth too.

misstiffie said...

mm makes me crave chocolate now :] i wanna try that kind hehe.

i like making my cranberry sauce with just water and cranberries, no sugar or anything but the addition of apples sounds great :] i'm gonna try it in my next batch :] i love the natural tartness too

seeleelive (for the love of peanut butter) said...

i love sprouted wheat bread....i love the chewy texture as well!!