Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Beautiful Food

Happy Wednesday my blog friends.  I am sure a bunch of you are counting down the hours till you get to have a nice break from work and/or school.

This morning I made it to the gym for my workout at 5AM.  It was a chilly one today – there was actually frost on my truck.  When I came home I made a beautiful bowl of goodies – same as yesterday.  I just love the color of the cranberry sauce in the mess.  Under that mound of deliciousness was 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup pumpkin, a Weetabix biscuit, 3/4 cup Cinnamon Puffins and 1/4 cup Kashi Heart 2 Heart.  I topped if off with a tablespoon of PB. 

HPIM5821 HPIM5822

Babysitting was crazy this morning – there were so many older kids today.  I am pretty sure it was due to the fact that there wasn’t any school.  I felt kind of bad for them – they seemed bored.  The room is nice for younger kids but anyone older than 7 or 8 wouldn’t really have much to do.  There are coloring books but the crayons are lame (there are like 10 and they are broken into itty pieces).  I was thinking about picking up a pack to bring in because so many kids are always asking to color.  D had a good time playing – thankfully he can always find something to do. 

When we got home I started making my lunch.  I was so in the mood for a big old bowl of veggies.  I saw Miss Gliding Calm’s Mexi-Meal the other day and have been dying to make a dish inspired by hers.  I used a small zucchini, a small red pepper, 1/2 a green pepper, a medium tomato and 1/4 cup black beans.  First I cooked the zucchini and peppers till soft but not mushy.  Next, I added all the tomato and the black beans to the pan.  I let them mingle for a few then added chili powder, garlic powder, cilantro, cumin and paprika (there was no measuring involved, just added to taste).  Once the mixture was completely combined I put it in a bowl and added 1/2 cup cottage cheese.  The cottage cheese separated a bit from the heat so if that wigs you out then don’t use it – I wanted the protein.  You could also just use shredded cheese and let it get all melty on top – mmmmmm! I also added a few splashes of Frank’s which added an awesome kick.  This dish was super yummy.  She used avocado in her recipe but I am really not a big fan of it – I know it is good for me so maybe I will try it next time. Thanks for the inspiration Miss Gliding Calm!!! 

HPIM5823

With my massive bowl of veggies I had a toasted Sandwich Thin topped with Swiss cheese and PB & cranberry apple butter.

HPIM5826

I think we finally have our plans in order for tomorrow.  We are going to stay home for most of the early part of the day then after lunch we will be stopping by to say hi to my family at my Nana’s and then it’s off to dinner at the in-law’s.  Unfortunately my mommy is not venturing down for the festivities – I actually think she is working – someone needs to feed the elderly people.  Even though she is not physically here she will be here in my heart – I miss her so much. 

I hope you all enjoy the rest of your day. See you after dinner. 

8 comments:

Erica said...

I always love your breakfast messes! The vegi filled lunch looks great as well! Hope you guys enjoy your day tomorrow! I don't get to see my mommy either :(

polly said...

Sammie, your food pictures are beautiful, always, but especially lately! I love the new layout of pics. Wanted you to know that I tried some plain kashi waffles this week and feel great. Usually kashi products are great in my belly but they were wonderful.

Hope you are enjoying turkey week and count your blessings! I know you do, as you can see how much you love your family from your blog. xoxo

VeggieGirl said...

Traditional messes + a dish inspired by Miss Gliding Calm’s fabulous Mexi-Meal + PB-Cranberry-Apple-Butter English muffin = TOO MUCH DELICIOUSNESS!!! :-)


Ahh, so sorry about the crazy babysitting day - hang in there!!

Sammie said...

Polly,
I am glad the waffle sat well in your tummy.
Thanks for the compliments to my blog. I recently discovered Windows Live Writer - it is amazing & fun to play around with.
I hope you have an awesome day tomorrow.

Andrea said...

that cranberry sauce looks PHENOMENAL!

strongandhealthy said...

Wow, that is beautiful food!

seeleelive (for the love of peanut butter) said...

Beautiful, beautiful food. It is so nice to see wonderful food and no "restrictions" the day before the big feast. right on, sammie!

oh, and i tried the chocolate pumpkin bread-YUM!

ksgoodeats said...

The mexi-meal looks great! Sorry to hear you don't get to see your mom tomorrow :( I hope you have a great night!