Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Sammie Unwrapped

My dermatologist was thrilled that my skin is doing so well on my new diet. She was pretty impressed by all the work that I have put into educating myself - it has been totally worth it. See the before and after. The picture on the left is about 4 months ago, and the one of the right was taken today. The before picture was not even at my worst - yikes!

Now onto a little something I thought I would share with you all. You probably notice that I tend to eat mostly foods that are sweet and very few that would fall under the salty/savory side. Well, I have a good reason for that. I actually have something called Geographical Tongue - I kid you not, it is an actual condition. When I eat foods that are salty, bitter, acidic or sour my tongue gets mottled and becomes very irritated - chocolate is actually one of the worst offenders. This picture is actually not that bad - you should see it after balsamic salad dressing. So you see now why my diet can be kind of repetitive - I tend to stick with the foods that don't bother my tongue or my tummy - yes, I am a freak show.

I didn't tell you before but the TV in our living room broke on Sunday - thankfully we had one in our bedroom that we don't use very much. I tried to be She-Ra and carry the TV from upstairs down to the living room. Well I dropped the damn thing on my legs when I went to put it on the floor. See my lovely bruised legs - the left one is way worse. I tried so hard not to swear my head off - I just sat there and laughed which of course made Charlie laugh. Once we saw the damage we just died laughing again. I told you, I am a freak!

Ok, onto my eats - same old stuff. I had cottage cheese and a pear for an afternoon snack.

A salad with cheese, Boar's Head lower sodium roasted turkey breast, MGF dressing and a TJ's low carb whole wheat wrap.

Then I mixed up this beautiful thing because that salad would last all of 20 minutes in my tummy. In the bowl was TJ's Greek yogurt, Cinnamon Puffins, Mighty Maple PB and TJ's Reduced Sugar Blueberry Preserves. MMMMMMMMMM!!!! Yogurt is actually my tongue's friend - that is why I eat it so much. I was told to drink milk if my tongue was irritated but I am not a fan of drinking milk - so I eat yogurt.

There you have Sammie Unwrapped - I hope you enjoyed the show.
Time for this girl to relax, see you in the morning.

7 comments:

Erica said...

You skin looks fabulous! Congrats! I'm glad the changes are really working for you!

VeggieGirl said...

Sammie, this post is fabulous - thank you so much for the candidness!! I'm INCREDIBLY elated that your skin has cleared up, you're eating the foods that satisfy your needs/don't irritate your tongue or stomach, and feel better. Hooray!!! :0)

Charlie said...

Hey Sammie, you may be a freak, but you're my freak!

Alex said...

What were the changes you made? (I am new to the blog)

runroamrecycle said...

I USED TO HAVE GEOGRAPHIC TONGUE TOO! I was sooo self concious about it when I was younger. Either I grew out of it completely, or it's just much less severe..

haha yayy for someone else actually knowing what that is and not thinking I made it up!

Sammie said...

Alex,
The dairy I eat has to come from cows that have not been treated with hormones.

RRR,
Mine has gotten worse as I have aged, not really sure why. I totally understand what you mean about people thinking you made it up - I guess it is pretty rare.

*Erica* said...

What a great post to come back to! lol Your skin looks amazing! Freak? What?? I don't see a freak anywhere!

Do me a favor: Don't pick up any more tvs! :-)