Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Decadent Dessert

Finally my tummy is starting feel much better. I think cutting back on the veg today has really helped - thanks for being so understanding. It seems like some of you experience the same discomforts as I do when you consume to many fresh veggies.
I find yogurt to be very comforting when I am having intestinal issues - hence my afternoon snack - 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, a small plum and Cinnamon Puffins.


Due to the fact that I am taking it easy veggie-wise today I opted for a Dr. Praeger's Veggie Burger - not too heavy on the veg but it still allows me to get some. I also had an Arnold Sandwich Thin with sunbutter and cranberry apple butter, then for protein I had 1/2 a cup of cottage cheese.



I made my honey Cinnamon-Spiced Moroccan Chicken from a Whole Living Recipe. The only change I made to the recipe was using prunes instead of dates. I served his chicken over a bed of whole wheat couscous. He kept telling me how yummy it was and he thanked me over and over again for making him such a delicious meal, which was ready when he walked in the door I might add.



I bought the cookbook The Most Decadent Diet Ever! by Devin Alexander a while ago but I really have not made that many recipes from it. Tonight I cracked that bad boy open in search of a dessert and found a recipe called Chocolate Not-Only-In-Your-Dreams Cake. Now that sounds intriguing. I just happened to have all the ingredients on hand so I got to work - it is actually a very easy recipe. Here they are fresh from the oven.



And the little beauty waiting to be eaten. YOU MUST MAKE THESE!!!! They are amazing! The center is very soft, almost like a mousse. I ate mine with a little Good Karma Coconut Mango Rice cream - great combo. If you like dark chocolate then this is a dessert for you. You all know my huz's love of dark chocolate - well he quite enjoyed his cake. Honestly it isn't cake like at all, more like a flourless cake - rich and fudgy. I think I just found a new favorite in our house. D had a taste and liked it but he had already eaten his dessert so he will have to wait till tomorrow to have his own - there are 2 left. This recipe only makes 4 but I am sure you could double the recipe if needed.

Ok, on with that glorious recipe.
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 large egg whites
1 cup dark or light brown sugar (not packed)
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon very finely ground espresso beans - I used ground instant espresso
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon powder sugar - we didn't dust ours with this, I think it is sweet enough
4 raspberries - I left those off too - I don't have any
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Generously spray four 3 1/2 inch-diameter ramekins with non-stick cooking spray. Place them side by side in an 8 x 8 - inch baking pan. Add water to the pan until half way to the top of the ramekins.
Use a sturdy whisk or spatula to mix the applesauce, vanilla, egg whites and brown sugar in a large bowl until well combined. Add the cocoa powder, espresso and salt. Stir until just combined and no lumps remain. Divide evenly among the ramekins (each will be about two-thirds full).
Bake for 21 to 34 minutes, until the tops look silky and puff slightly and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out a bit wet. Remove from the oven and carefully transfer the ramekins from the water bath to a cooling rack. Cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Then invert each ramekin onto a dessert plate. Let stand for 1 minute and then slowly lift off the ramekin (the cake should come out on their own, but if they don't run a knife around the edge of the cakes to loosen them). Cool for another 5 to 10 minutes. Use a fine sieve to evenly dust each with a slight sprinkle of powdered sugar. Place a raspberry on the center of each cake, if using. Serve immediately.

Each cake has 203 calories, 7 grams protein, 46 grams carbohydrates, 2 grams fat, 1 gram saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 6 grams fiber, 364 mg sodium.

If you make this recipe please let me know what you think.

Have a great night all - I am off to relax and find some warmth. See you in the morning.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

This may be common knowledge...but seeing that I am new to your blog =) Why do you make different meals for your hubby? I do the same thing when my husband wants something that is his fave, and not mine (i.e. beef stroganoff), but your chicken dish looked wonderful, and not unlike something you might eat yourself(?). Just curious.

Glad your tummy is feeling better. Oh, and I've got two "mess" recipes to share with you if you are interested (my favorite involves pumpkin and a chocolate chip Zbar).

Have a nice evening!

Sammie said...

Sarah,
I really have to be in the mood for chicken and I was not at all in the mood this evening. I rarely eat beef and I am not a fan of pork at all, so if I make a meal for my husband that involves these I make myself something else. I could have eaten the apples but I can't eat the prunes so I left that for him which he can eat for dinner tomorrow. A lot of times after handling the raw chicken I find it very hard to eat it - that may sound weird but that is just how I am. I would much rather eat dairy - so that is what I did.

Erica said...

Ow! These look glorious! I am putting in on my list! I am sooo glad you are feeling better!

Are you having any issues with google blogger tonight? Its messing up all my links and pics and won't let me post grrrr

Gina said...

those deserts look incredible!!!
thanks for posting the recipe.. i might have to use it for my next dinner party :D

Sarah said...

Doesn't sound weird...I think its great that you listen to your body and what you want. So often if we eat what is put in front of us (or what we put in front of everyone else), we walk away unsatisfied. So have what you want!

Thanks for indulging my nosiness!

VeggieGirl said...

Sooo glad you're feeling better!!

THAT DESSERT!!! Holy yum.

Sammie said...

Sarah,
I am always happy to answer your questions. Thanks for asking that is part of why I blog.Everyone has different eating styles and I want people to see that you don't have to always eat like everyone else to be healthy & happy. I think eating what YOU want is key and that is what makes you who you are.

HangryPants said...

Loving the recipes in this post!