Sunday, September 7, 2008

Spicy, Dark & Icy Dessert Trio

Yes this is a post totally devoted to "Dessert". I have been avoiding chocolate for the most part lately due to the milk that seems to appear in the "stuff" I like. I find it hard to enjoy chocolate that tastes like a handful of earth even though it is much better for me. I tend to like somewhere around the 70% range - anything darker and I think it tastes way too bitter. Thanks to my huz who lives for chocolate and has the desire to taste all things covered in chocolate, my dessert was made possible.
While we were at TJ's on Sat. he picked up a container of Dark Chocolate covered chile spiced dried mango..........

AND 70% Concerto Chocolate Batons. The man is a chocoholic!!!

I totally took care of my chocolate craving with a dessert trio that consisted of a sampling of the Chocolate Mango and a piece from a Concerto Baton. The seasoning on the mango was paprika, cayenne pepper and kosher salt. It was spicy, sweet and tangy - very unique but soooooo good!!! The 70% Chocolate was very dark but not at all bitter - quite smooth. Then I moved onto the icy portion of dessert - yes I indulged a little more. Earlier today we were talking about going out for ice cream but I have been finding it hard to get hormone free ice cream (that I like) in my area without having to purchase a container from the store. I have been opting for sorbet but I was not in a sorbet mood this evening. We decided to save money and eat what we had on hand - therefore cutting down on oodles of calories as well. Yes I love to go out with my guys and splurge but sometimes it weights me down and I don't like that feeling at all. Ok onto the treat.....

a Mocha Fudge frozen bar from TJ's. Charlie was having one and I thought it looked pretty darn yummy so I dug one out to try. It was not like a typical fudge bar - more on the icy side. It had a nice bitter flavor, like an espresso but with a hint of sweetness. Each bar has only 140 calories, 1.5 grams of fat and 6 grams of protein so it doesn't really qualify as a massive splurge. It sure did taste like one. So even though I had a three banger, if I had gone out for a dessert splurge I would have consumed way more calories. I don't think my choices were that unhealthy as far as dessert goes and all 4 taste sensations were activated.

After our dessert D really wanted to battle daddy in their favorite Wii game, Super Smash Bros. He enjoys fighting Charlie before we head up and read his bedtime stories. While they had a little father son bonding, mommy enjoyed her favorite past time - running. I hit the pavement for a glorious 6 miler. Tonight it was so nice and cool out there - the best running weather in my opinion.
My little man is in dreamland and I am now going to chill out for the rest of the evening. See you in the AM. I hope you all had a great weekend.

3 comments:

Erica said...

mmmmm....all looks wonderful! The mango sounds relaly interesting! I am going to have an opportunity to go to TJs this week- so I may just pick some up! Glad you enjoyed the run!!

*Erica* said...

Yummmm...chocolate! Sounds like my kind of man! Sorry, Sammie! lol
Yay for a cool, wonderful run. I'm ready for that crisp, fall air. I agree, makes for the best running.

ttfn300 said...

oh my golly, that mango sounds like something that's just itching to be tried!!