Monday, September 22, 2008

Savory Stuffed Pumpkin

My honey had his first ever Stuffed Pumpkin tonight - he liked it so much he went back for seconds. I used to eat this a lot when I was a kid - one of the few dishes my mom could make with meat and actually get me to eat it without a fight. Yes, even in my youth I was not crazy about meat. I was not making this for my dinner so I did use ground beef, the smell wafting through my house was totally nostalgic.
On to the recipe. First I cooked a cup of white rice with 2 cups water. While the rice cooked I browned a little more than 1 pound of ground beef in a nonstick pan. When the rice & meat were finished cooking I transfered both to a large bowl and stirred till combined. Next I seasoned the mix with 1 tsp salt, 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme, 2 tsp dried ground sage & 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper. Once the rice & beef cooled a little I a medium chopped onion added 3 eggs.

I cut the top off the pumpkin and cleaned out the seeds. Then I pricked the inside with a knife and seasoned with a little salt (less than 1/2 tsp).

I stuffed the pumpkin with the filling using as much as I could jam into the cavity. I made so much filling that I could have stuffed a pumpkin 3 times this size. I divided the leftover filling among 6 jumbo muffin cups and baked for about 40 minutes - my honey had one of these mini meat loaves on the side. I was hoping D would eat one but that didn't happen. Looks like Charlie has lots of leftovers for the week.

I baked the stuffed pumpkin at 350 degrees for about 65 minutes - until the pumpkin was soft.

To serve my darling dear his yummy dinner I cut a wedge out of the pumpkin and scooped out some of the filling. It might not seem like it will hold together but it does. He got his meat, grains and veggies all in one meal. His dairy came at the end with a bowl of ice cream. He commented on what a satisfying meal he came home to.

Now on to the food that I ate. This afternoon while I was cooking my pants off I needed to stop and have a snack which was a cup of TJ's 0% Greek yogurt sprinkled with cinnamon and an apple from my picking extravaganza on Sunday. This apple was sooooo sweet.

For dinner I made a little salad with a cheddar cheese stick and MGF dressing. A few almonds and ........

TJ's Chicken Potstickers. They were pretty good. I cooked them in the microwave per the instructions on the package - they probably would have been better if I steamed them in a pot on the stove.

I tried this dipping sauce which I have had for a while in the door of my fridge - now I know why I don't use it - it was yuck!!! So, I just ate the potstickers plain.

For dessert I had one of these cuties. They are only 90 cals and 2 grams of fat - not a bad sweet treat.

I am in the mood to get some reading done - I am really enjoying my book (Harry Potter 6). I hope you all had a lovely day
Oh yeah, my huz wanted me to let you know that his Apricot Bars were even great the next day - I packed one for him to snack on while he was working.
Goodnight.

8 comments:

Fitnessista said...

how is harry potter 6 picking up?? i couldn't get into that one for some reason!
what a beautiful meal you cooked for the huz! i would like to make it for the pilot when he gets back-- he'd love it!
have a great night sammie!

VeggieGirl said...

GORGEOUS MEAL!!!!!

Mmm, peanut sauce!! Love that stuff.

Hooray for the apricot bars tasting great!!

Have a lovely evening!

Erica said...

That is the coolest recipe! I love that you make it in a pumpkin! How freaking cool! Hope you enjoy the rest of your night!!

ttfn300 said...

Wow I've never seen such an amazing stuffed veggie ;-)

HangryPants said...

Wow that pumpkin looks amazing! I am sorry if I've asked you this before, but where is the closest TJ's to you? There are zero in RI right now.

Sammie said...

hangrypants,
I either go to the TJ's in Shrewsbury or Framingham. They are both about 30 minutes from me but well worth the trip.

HangryPants said...

Oh, thanks. Too far for me. :(

runningwithfood said...

We make a very similar recipe every year on Halloween. It was something that we used to have as children as well. Now that I make it for our Halloween dinner, I make a few alterations to make it healthier than mom did!

Yours looks tasty and has me Halloween-ready!