Thursday, August 7, 2008

It's Easy Eating Green

Yeah, that is green squash!! I was able to use 2 of the big guys today in my baking/cooking fiasco. I also shredded 4 small ones which I ate some of for lunch & dinner. Am I looking like a veggie yet?? At least I am eating healthy - well that is actually easy for me. So the first thing I made today was Zucchini Hummus, a recipe I found in my Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook. It was so simple - I figured even if it tasted yucky I didn't put to much effort into it & I knocked out a squash from my fridge. I can't say it is the best hummus I have made (roasted red pepper from America's Test Kitchen - still my fav. recipe) but it is not bad.

Here is the recipe for anyone who wants to test it for themselves.
2 cups chopped unpeeled young zucchini (mine was not young - it was a daddy)
2/3 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
Juice of 2 lemons
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp salt
Place all ingredients in food processor. Puree and serve with crudites or pita chips.
Nutritional value per tablespoon (makes 32 servings)
Calories: 33 / Protein: 1g / Carbs: 1g / Fiber: 0.3g / Fat: 2g / Sodium: 27mg
After all that work I really needed a snack!! I had Chobani Vanilla yogurt & I did plan on eating the peach but the D man decided he wanted to eat it. I was shocked that he wanted to eat a piece of fruit so I was very willing to share.

Next came the Zucchini Lemon Muffins from my monstrous King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion Book. I doubled to recipe which made 24 decent size delights. Charlie taste tested one when he came home - a winner. He is going to take the rest to his buddies at work tomorrow - they are really hitting the jackpot this week - Congo Bars, Oatmeal Raisin Cookies & now muffins.

I then had to make some sort of dinner for myself & my guys. They had pasta - D's with just butter. For the Huz I took cooked pasta (cooled to room temp) then drizzled a little olive oil over it, added about 1/2 cup Zucchini Hummus, grape tomatoes, pine nuts & grated Parmesan Cheese. He enjoyed it quite a bit. I am not really that big on pasta so I made my self something else.

Yes, eggs again. When I need protein I always make eggs - especially if I do not have chicken available. Tonight I used 1 egg white along with 1 whole egg. I topped the eggs with Finlandia Light swiss cheese (yeah, I finally found I hormone free variety at Stop & Shop). For carbs I toasted a Thomas' English Muffin which I topped 1/2 with a tablespoon of the Zucchini Hummus I made plus a few dashes of Frank's & the other 1/2 with half a tablespoon of Sunflower seed butter.

Of course the veg tonight was zucchini & summer squash. I simply sprayed a pan with non-stick spray added the squash and cooked for 5 min. I didn't want it to get to soft, just warmed through. I tossed a few pieces of cheese from the slice I was using on the eggs. It tasted pretty good.
For "dessert" I had some Kashi Mighty Bites mixed with a mini box of raisins (about a tablespoon) and some almonds. I love Kashi products.

Tomorrow is probably going to be kind of a crazy day. My sister-in-law asked me to start cleaning her house - for scratch of course. I used to clean her apartment but then they moved & finances change with a house so now I think things are cool & she wants me to clean. I will post in the AM before I leave but after that I am not sure what the day will bring - lots of dust bunnies I am sure. Goodnight All!!

No comments: