Saturday, August 30, 2008

In my Kitchen

I was back in the kitchen creating something different this afternoon. I have been looking at this monster of a sweet potato all week and wondering what I should do with it. Well, this afternoon I incorporated it into my latest recipe - Sweet Potato Frittata. After my 9 mile run this morning I was really craving some eggs but I didn't want just a plain old floppy looking job.
Here is what I came up with; shred 1 large sweet potato in the food processor then transfer to a 10 inch skillet that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. Cook the sweet potato until it is tender - takes less than 10 minutes (this recipe is a quickie). Turn the broiler on and let it start to preheat. In a large bowl whisk 4 whole eggs & 4 egg whites with 2 tablespoons water. I added 1/4 tsp salt, 1 tsp dries basil and fresh ground black pepper to the egg mixture - you can add whatever spices & herbs you like to eat with your eggs. Once the sweet potato is cooked, pour the egg mix into the skillet and evenly distribute in the pan; cook on medium heat. Place a cover onto the skillet, if your pan doesn't have a lid (mine didn't) then you can make one out of a piece of aluminum foil. Let the eggs set up for about 8 minutes, check often. Once the edges seem to be firm but the middle is still soft; sprinkle top with 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used a mix of mozzarella & cheddar). Place the pan under your broiler for about 2 minutes; do not walk away, watch it closely as it will burn easily. Once the cheese is browned & bubbly remove. Transfer the frittata to a serving plate, slice and enjoy.

Mmmmm, this was so delicious! The sweet potato added just enough sweetness and the eggs were so soft and fluffy. My huz ate 2 slices, I'd say this is a winner.

I ate my slice with some Ezekiel bread that I spread with almond butter and Trader Joe's Organic Reduced Sugar Strawberry Preserves.

Plus a salad, nothing too fancy about that - I just wanted some greens.

My lunch was really late today and I hadn't eaten anything since breakfast - after my run I was not hungry (kind of surprising, breakfast wasn't that large). So I ended my lunch with a LUNA Bar - sweet and satisfying.

I hope everyone is having a great day. See you later.

3 comments:

sportsnutritionliving said...

Wow you really have been whipping up some tasty treats! That looks so good!

VeggieGirl said...

Loooove sweet potatoes!! :0)

Erica said...

Can I just say that I love how much you cook! I think its so great to see people making fresh food all the time! I think health in the us started to go downhill when people started ALWAYS eating out! The frittata looks amazing!