Saturday, June 28, 2008

Saturday Out & About

I ended up going to the gym this morning around 7:45. Before I went, I had a creamy bowl of oatmeal, wheat bran, chopped dates & walnuts. For a change I actually had a glass of skim milk with it. I bought some skim milk yesterday so that I can start to drink more milk now that I am not having yogurt every morning.

When I got back from the gym I spread 1/2 a tablespoon of peanut butter and mashed a banana on a small whole wheat pita.

Even though I had the pita, p.b. and banana an hour and a half later (10:45) I was hungry again. I did not want to eat lunch yet and I knew we were going out for a bit so I decided to have one of the string cheese sticks (hormone free) I bought yesterday.

The guys & I went to a little farm stand in town - our first time there. They had all kinds of produce along with a lot of jams, spreads, sauces, pickled veggies, mustards, candy, spices and home-made baked goods. One of the things that caught my eye was a jar of no sugar added pumpkin butter. Of course being a pumpkin lover I bought it and thus came my lunch creation.

I had peanut butter and the pumpkin butter on raisin bread. The pumpkin butter is great, I am glad that I tried the one with out the sugar added - they sold both kinds. Despite not having any sugar added it has enough sweetness for my taste, probably due to the apple cider listed in the ingredients.

I also tried another flavor of Rachel's yogurt. I have to say that most of the flavors I have tried are so yummy, the only one that I was only so-so on was the vanilla chai. I like vanilla and chai but the flavors were a little odd mixed together. I think the bitterness of the yogurt made the chai flavor taste off since I tend to think of that flavor as being sweet. Overall I really like this brand.


We did some driving around this afternoon because Charlie wanted to try a blade meat sandwich for lunch (not my bag, that is why I packed a lunch to eat on the road). D ended up falling asleep - probably because he was up late and got up early this morning. We went to one place but they only sold the meat. We asked them if they could recommend a place where he could get a sandwich and luckily there was a place just up the street. After Charlie got his sandwich we drove to a Costco. We have never been inside one, but we wanted to compare it to BJ's, where we already have a membership. We liked what they had to offer & the prices but decided that it was a little far from our house to travel when the BJ's is only 5 minutes away.
On our way back home we stopped at Whole Foods to pick up a few things. I got some things from the salad bar, fruit and Stonyfield non-fat vanilla frozen yogurt. The salad had spinach, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, bok choy, grilled onions, grilled squash, BBQ & buffalo tofu, a small piece of buffalo chicken (not fried), and a tiny scoop of black bean salad. Can I just tell you that I am in love with the tofu. I am not usually to keen on tofu but these 2 flavors are so delicious. I am going to try to make my own. If anyone has a recipe please let me know.

For dessert I had some of the frozen yogurt mixed with pineapple, blueberries, strawberries and some shaved chocolate (plus a few extra squares on the side). We bought 2 bars of Lake Champlain Chocolate. They are of the darker variety that do not contain milk. I also put in a small tsp of a peanut butter spread (another purchase at the farm stand today). A nice ending.
D is in bed now and Charlie just got back from taking Otto for a walk. I think we are going to hang out for a while before we go to bed. I would like to read and I think Charlie mentioned that he wanted to start a new book - we like to read in bed together. I will be back at some point tomorrow. Good night.

No comments: