Thursday, June 19, 2008

Rice is always nice

For dinner I made fried rice, the healthy way. I put 1 tsp. olive oil in a medium skillet, to that I added 1/4 cup diced red pepper and cooked till softened but not mushy (I like my peppers to have a little crunch). Next I added 1 cup frozen broccoli (I thawed it first), 1/4 tsp Chinese 5 spice, 1/2 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce and 1 cup brown rice. I let the flavors marry a bit then I moved everything to the outer edges of the pan leaving a spot in the center for me to pour 2 beaten eggs. I scrambled the eggs and mixed everything together in the pan. I also had a Dr. Praeger's Veggi Burger. I whipped this together in less than 20 minutes and it tasted pretty good. I would have used other veggies but I am running low on fresh produce - time to hit the market. (Cabbage, shredded carrots, onion, and mushrooms would have been yummy.)

I had some grapes and an oatmeal bar for dessert.



After cleaning this morning D and I headed to my sister's house again. I had a Clif bar with a cup of black coffee in the late afternoon. My sister wanted to try out her new coffee maker, not that I need an excuse to have coffee. I really liked this Clif bar flavor, it was very chunky and chewy. There are actually whole raisins and shredded carrots throughout.
My poor tired baby fell asleep again in the car. He plays so hard when he is with Rocco, he always poops himself out. He did not want to wake up but I needed him to eat a little pasta so he does not wake up later complaining that he is hungry. He did eat 3/4 of what I served him. While I was eating I heard him go upstairs, then I didn't hear him again. I called for him but no answer. I peeked in his room and there he was asleep in his bed with the light on. He is really tired.
I am going to start the book Julie & Julia by Julie Powell tonight. I gave it to my mom for Mother's Day, but she's already finished with it so she brought it for me to read last week when she visited. She enjoyed it and said that I would really like it. I will let you know what I think. Have a wonderful evening.

No comments: